Barker's OBP Creme Brulee
A French classic dessert using minimal ingredients
- 480ml pure thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 3 Tbsp Barker's Orange, Barley & Passionfruit fruit syrup
- 6 Tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 150°C/130°C fan-forced. Place four 3/4 cup-capacity ovenproof dishes in pan.
- Place cream and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, making sure the cream doesn’t boil, for 8 to 10 minutes or until just simmering.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks, caster sugar, and Barker’s Orange, Barley & Passionfruit fruit syrup together in a heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk in cream mixture until combined. Strain mixture into a heatproof jug. Pour into dishes. Add boiling water to pan until halfway up sides of dishes.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until almost set, mixture should still have a nice wobble. Remove dishes from pan. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool. Cover. Refrigerate overnight.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of caster sugar over each custard, and using a kitchen blow torch, torch the tops to melt and brown the sugar.
- Serve immediately.
Alternatively, if you don’t have a blow torch, place under a hot grill until sugar has browned.
For more inspirational Barker's recipes go to their website.
Recipe by: IronChefShellie (ironchefshellie.com)
Liked this recipe? rate and share it