Hot Cross Buns (Bread maker Recipe)
You’ll wish everyday was Easter with these traditional currant and spiced flavoured buns
- 1 Tbsp sure bake yeast
- 1 Tbsp Chelsea White Sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups white high grade flour
- ½ cup wholemeal flour
- 2 Tbsp oil (light olive or canola etc)
- 320ml water (room temperature)
- 1 egg
Later addition to Dough
- 75g citrus rind (if desired)
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp mixed spice
- ¼ cup Chelsea Soft Brown Sugar
- ½ cup sultanas
- ½ cup currants
For the Crosses
- ¼ cup white flour
- ¼ cup cold water
For the Glaze
- ¼ cup Chelsea Caster Sugar
- 2 Tbsp warm water
- Place dough ingredients into the machine in the order as listed. Set a timer for 30 minutes if your machine doesn’t have a fruit addition timer built in. Turn the machine on using “dough only” function. After 30 minutes add the additional dough ingredients.
- When the “dough only” function signals ready, remove the dough onto a well floured surface and knead into a long sausage shape - like a stick of French bread. Using scissors cut off pieces the size of a tennis ball and place into a well greased or baking paper lined Swiss roll tin approx. 20x25cm. The balls of dough should touch each other.
To make the Crosses
- Place the flour and water in a small zip lock plastic bag and seal. Squish the bag to mix the flour paste well. Snip off the corner and pipe crosses onto the surface of the buns. Allow the buns to rise a further 30mins then brush with melted butter and bake in a preheated oven 200°C for 20–25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and while piping hot brush over the sugar glaze. Cool on a wire rack, reheat to serve.
For more inspirational Chelsea recipes go to their website.
Liked this recipe? rate and share it