DIY Chicken Stock
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 chicken carcass & bones left over from a #16 or a #18 chicken
- 2 each: medium carrots, onions, celery stalks (optional)
- 1 bunch herbs e.g. bay leaf, parsley, thyme, rosemary
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Water to cover
- Heat the oil in a large (5 litre) heavy saucepan. Brown the chicken carcass and bones then place aside.
- Cut the vegetables into large pieces.Brown in the oil. Return the chicken to the saucepan.
- Tie the herbs together with string. Add to the pan and season.
- Add enough water to fill the saucepan.
- Bring tp the bil, then simmer gently for 2 hours until the stock has reduced by about 1/3.
- Pour through a sieve into a large container pressing the liquid from the vegetabes. Skim off any fat.
- Store in meal-sized quantities - covered tightly - in the refrigerator or freezer.
Makes 6 cups. Cook for 2 hours.
Liked this recipe? rate and share it