Black Cherry Trifle
Chocolate sponge, berries, cream and dark chocolate are a delicious combination
- 425g tin pitted black cherries (alternatively, you can use tinned raspberries)
- 1 single chocolate sponge
- ¼ cup cherry brandy or coffee liqueur
- 125g Whittaker’s dark chocolate
- 300ml cream
- Drain the cherries well, reserving the juice. Choose a pretty glass bowl for your trifle.
- Break the sponge into 8 pieces. Combine the cherry brandy or liqueur with 1/4 cup of the reserved cherry juice.
- Break the chocolate into squares. Melt in the microwave for a few seconds or in a double boiler.
- Stir half of the liqueur/juice mixture into the chocolate, until combined, adding a little more cherry juice if the mixture is too thick.
- Soak the sponge pieces in the remainder of the liqueur/juice mix.
- Whip the cream until fairly thick. Fold the cooled chocolate mixture into it, reserving 2 tbsp.
- Assemble the trifle by layering the chocolate cream, a swirl of the chocolate sauce, the brandy-soaked sponge pieces, and black cherries. Finish with a layer of chocolate cream and reserve 8 cherries for the top. Thin the remaining chocolate mixture with more juice if necessary, and drizzle over top of the trifle. Chill well before serving.
"This yummy trifle will be loved by everyone — and tastes even better when prepared several hours ahead of serving, or even the night before."
For more about Whittaker's chocolate, go to their website.
Liked this recipe? rate and share it