Children's Oral Health
Tips to get toddlers brushing
- Small mouths need small, soft toothbrushes
- Use a smear of full-strength fluoride toothpaste
- Help children under the age of eight to make sure they clean all their teeth
- Spit, but don't rinse after brushing teeth. Remains of fluoride from the toothpaste stays in the mouth to continue protecting against tooth decay
- Make sure your child can reach the sink. A small footstool may help
- Good habits start early so start brushing your child's teeth from the very first tooth
To help encourage toddlers and young children to brush their teeth twice a day download our free Tooth Brushing Chart (below) or click here.
Brush your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
Drink water and milk
Choose tooth-friendly healthy snacks
Information supplied by the Canterbury Community Primary Health Organisation and the Canterbury District Health Board.