Pulled Pomegranate & Mint Lamb
Tickle those taste buds with this delicious lamb dish
- 2kg Quality Mark leg of lamb
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon soft butter and 1 tablespoon flour mixed to a paste
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- ½ cup picked mint leaves, shredded
Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Place the onion in the base of a non-metallic or enamel roasting dish and sit lamb on top.
- Pour glaze over the lamb then pour 200ml water around the lamb.
- Cover and place in the oven to slow-cook for 31/2 hours.
- Remove cover and continue cooking lamb for a further 30 minutes until the meat is almost falling off the bone.
- Place lamb on a warm serving platter and cover loosely with foil and a clean tea towel.
- Strain cooking juices into a saucepan and skim away any fat with a large spoon.
- Boil to reduce the sauce, then whisk in the thickening paste.
- Cook until the sauce is syrupy and taste for seasoning.If tart, add salt to balance flavour, then pour into a sauce jug.
- Remove cover from lamb and scatter over pomegranate seeds and fresh mint.
- Serve lamb with a big bowl of barbecued or steamed summer vegetables including baby potatoes.
- To remove seeds from a pomegranate – roll fruit to loosen seeds, then cut in 1/2 horizontally. Hold 1/2 over a bowl, seeds facing down and tap skin firmly with the back of a spoon, squeezing gently to release seeds.
- New Zealand Quality Mark lamb is grass-fed, which means it has a dose of omega 3, important for heart health.
- Use a non-metallic roasting dish as this prevents the acid in the dish from reacting with the metal.
- If using a slow cooker, use the same amount of liquid and cook on low for 6-8 hours
Find more Beef + Lamb NZ recipes on their website.
272 calories per serving
Recipe by: Beef + Lamb NZ
Liked this recipe? rate and share it