Roast Pork Leg with Apple, Fennel & Crackle
This dish is wonderful served alongside our Selaks Reserve Pinot Gris
- 2.5 - 2.8 kg leg pork, bone in, skin on and scored (get your butcher to do this)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 Tbsp chopped rosemary
- 4 – 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 large onions, peeledand quartered
- 1 ½ cups Selaks ReservePinot Gris
- 8 – 10 small grannysmith apples (or oneper person)
- Salt & pepper toseason gravy
- Preheat the oven to 250°C. Rub the skin and the flesh of the pork with olive oil, salt, fennel seeds and chopped rosemary.
- Place in aroasting dish large enough so there’s room for the whole apples part way through cooking. Roast at a high heat to get the crackle started– be patient, this can take up to 45 minutes before it is browned and blistered enough to make great crackling. Keep an eye on it to ensure it crackles but doesn’t burn.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C. Add one cup of the wine to the dish, scatter onions and garlic cloves around pork, then cover with foil and cook for 60 minutes.
- Using asharp knife, score the apples around the ‘waist’ to stop them bursting while cooking. Remove the roasting dish from the oven and remove the foil (carefully to avoid steam burns). Add the apples to the dish, baste each one with the roasting juices and add a sprinkle of salt. Continue cooking for a further 30 minutes, uncovered, until the apples and pork are cooked through, the crackling will crisp up again during this time too.
- Prick meat with a sharp knife - if the juices run clear, it’s done; if not, pop it back in the oven for another 10 -15 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the pork and apples carefully from the roasting dish. Set aside for the pork to rest for 10 minutes whileyou make the gravy.
- To make gravy, pour away most of the fat from the roasting dish and add the remaining half cup of white wine. Simmer until the liquid has reduced by half. Add half a cup of water and scrape all the gooey goodness off the bottom of the roasting dish, simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pass this through a sieve into a serving jug.
- Serve sliced pork with cooked apples and gravy.
Wine Match: Selaks Reserve Pinot Gris
Make sure you check out more Selaks Roast Day recipes on their website.
Liked this recipe? rate and share it